Friday, September 10, 2010

Song Spotlight: I'm About My Business


The Background

As a well rounded emcee, you have be able to say witty things, have dope storytelling, and deep substance.. At the same note, you gotta be able to control the crowd and give people something to nod there heads too.

This is probably the second song I had recorded for the project.. This song was actually completed from about a month ago.. I wanted to do a record with a bit of a southern bounce to it, and the piano's from the Gucci Mane/Bangledesh instrumental drew me in.



The Verses

I took the Jay-Z concept and had to "dumb it down" a bit.. I wanted to maintain a high level of swag on the record and make the lyrics easy for people to understand (as most commercial tracks are). Don't get it twisted, there's still a lot of wittiness buried inside the verses. Some of my personal favorite lines include..

"Listen, Im sittin' so far up on cloud 9
That I dont even come back to earth on my down time"

"Platinum or gold, no silver or bronze
Henny or Ciroc, either way I'm gone
I step into the studio like 'Home Sweet Home'
I don't wanna talk unless your name's Microphone"

The Hook

I was brainstormin' on a hook that was catchy but still dope, and maintained the same feel of the record.. I was runnin' thru some ideas with my homegirl who sings, and we happened to be listenin' to Drake's verse on "Forever".. and she just kept saying "Nigga, Im about my business" off of Drake's verse.. So when I took it to the studio I used that line and had the engineer chop and screw my voice, which is so commonly used in southern hip hop culture.

You can check out the finished product @ reverbnation.com/pennyshaw




No comments:

Post a Comment